Monday, March 19, 2012

Local Fighter Ready for His Title Shot



Photo by Edward DeVita/The Savannah Sports Monthly
By Edward DeVita

When an athlete truly loves a sport, there is literally nothing that he or she will do to test themselves and see just how good that they can be. It doesn’t matter the cost, the work or the pain and sweat, for these athletes it is about the competition. It is a chance to see where they stand and to push themselves to the limit and then survey the horizon.

Muhsin Corbbrey is that type of athlete.

The owner of Champions Training Center in Savannah, Corbbrey has fought and held championship titles in virtually every licensed organization except one – the UFC. At age 33, he aims to add that to his list.

“The thing is that I have fought everywhere,” explained Corbbrey who has fought in the WEC among others. “You name it, I’ve done it. The UFC is like the last frontier for me. It’s also where the big boys are. I am at a point in my life where I want to test myself against the best people in the world and so just how good I can be. This is a challenge that I am eagerly entering into.”

“I have a fight coming up in early February against Ludwig Salazar in Panama and in that fight I am looking forward to getting on track to the UFC,” said Corbbrey. “This is the first step to getting back into the UFC. My opponent in a tough guy, he has been in and won a ton of fights so this will be a challenge for me but a good challenge in that it will give me an indication of where I am at. Of course, my plan is to put him away in the first two rounds.”


Photo by Edward DeVita
The Savannah Sports Monthly
“This will give me the chance to South America which is a place that I have never been,” said Corbbrey. “I have been to Asia, Canada and seemingly everywhere in between but not to South America. It will be nice to have the opportunity to see something new.”

In addition to with running Champions Training Center, Corbbrey is training three times a day in order to maximize his conditioning and strength. In each of the three 90 minute workouts each day, Corbbrey endures an intense mixture of fighting and training that would leave lesser competitors longing for a break. For this budding champion however, the work is something that he simply can’t get enough of.

 




“I work on my conditioning and strength while also working on my stamina, boxing and grappling,” said Corbbrey “Even with that heavy of a workload I sometimes find myself wanting more, which is good. I don’t want to leave anything on the table.”

“At the end of the day, promoters around the world know what I can do, it’s just a matter of showing them that I am at full strength and ready to climb the ladder to the top,” explained Corbbrey. “This will be my first step back into that world and into that environment and I can’t wait for that day to get here.

With this fight, Corbbrey begins his quest to return to the spotlight this time among the ranks of the top fighters in of the UFC. With that in mind, this fight will also kick off a schedule of no less than six fights this year.

“I’m going to be busy,” smiled Corbbrey. “But I can’t think of anything else that I would rather be doing at this point in my life. I want to recharge my career and take that next step up the ladder and see what happens. Even though I am older than most fighters, I am smarter and healthier than most of these other guys. I have been around the block here a couple of times and that should and will work to my advantage. Now it’s just about lining up the next challenge and meeting it head on. That’s what keeps life exciting.”

No comments:

Post a Comment