Saturday, May 15, 2010

Moving Up - Former Sand Gnat Josh Thole Ready for a Shot with the Mets


What a difference a year makes.
A year ago, former Savannah Sand Gnats catcher Josh Thole was getting his first taste of big league baseball as a rookie invitee to the Major League Spring Training Camp of the New York Mets. Now, one season later, seated in the same locker as he did last spring, he is a completely different ballplayer.
Thole still flashes the same humble smile and is still the same person as he was, not only last spring, but also when he was slamming line drives all over Grayson Stadium back in 2007. This season, Thole comes to camp a better player, with a more defined role--and Major League experience.
“This year is so much easier,” said Thole. “I know more about what to expect this year. Last year, guys were trying to get me accustomed to what was going on; this year I know more about what to expect. This year is more about getting myself ready for the long haul.”
For the Mets’ prized catching prospect, last season was a long haul of it’s own. After spring training, Thole was sent to AA Binghamton for some at bats and the opportunity to play every day. He did not disappoint, hitting .328 with 46 runs batted in before getting called up to join the New York Mets in September.
“The season itself was great,” added Thole. “I played with a great group of guys and even though we didn’t win as many games as we would have liked to, it was a great learning experince. That would have made things a little bit better. But getting that phone call was really a dream come true.”
“We were getting ready to take batting practice and our manager had gotten a phone call,” recalled Thole. “He pulled me out of stretching and told me that he needed to talk to me. He told me that I was being called up to join the Mets. He took me out of the lineup that day. I didn’t hit batting practice or anything like that. I went in and called everyone that I could think of. We were in Akron, Ohio at the time. The team went on to Bowie and I stayed overnight in Akron. I caught a flight the next day to Colorado and that’s where I joined the Mets.”
With the Mets on the road for a series against the Colorado Rockies, Thole had the opportunity to spend a few days getting acclimated to the scene before manager Jerry Manuel pressed him into service. Just three days into his Major League career, Thole would be making his first big league appearance and making his first big league start. That is when the feeling of putting on a Major League uniform actually began to sink in.
“It didn’t really hit me until that third day, when I found out that I was starting that day,” explained Thole. “That’s when it came to me. It was just a feeling of, ‘wow, this is for real.’ I went down to the bullpen to warm up the starting pitcher and there were people everywhere. It was just a totally different atmosphere.”
“It was really nice,” said Thole. “I was fortunate that the guys really took me in, really well, and welcomed me. They took me aside and explained the do’s and don’ts. There were some times when they got on me when I was doing the wrong thing or something. For the most part, everyone welcomed me and made me feel like I was a part of the team.”
As he has done throughout his young career, Thole quickly settled in. He hit a double in his first at bat and almost immediately seemed to get comfortable with his pitching staff, as well. That first test now behind him on the road in Colorado, Thole embraced the opportunity to return to New York with the Mets. Once again, he found it to be an unforgettable experience.
“The stadium in itself was impressive,” recalled Thole. “I had been there for the exhibition games, but it’s a whole different cat when you are stepping on the field and the games are for real. 40,000 fans surrounding you and you being in the middle of it was amazing for me.”
“I got to experience New York a little during that time,” said Thole. “I just tried to make the most of it. I would go into the city for lunch. After a day game, I would go into the city and have a nice dinner in Times Square. I did that more than enough.”
Thole finished his introduction to the Major Leagues by hitting .321 with nine runs batted in while playing in 17 games with the Mets. Those numbers fuel optimism within the Mets coaching staff that the former Sand Gnat has all the tools to be the starting catcher in New York, perhaps as early as this season.
In the meantime, Thole continues to work on improving his game. He spent two months playing winter baseball in Caracas, Venezuela during the offseason and once again reported to Spring Training in impeccable shape. He is thrilled with his progress and is also anxious to see what lies ahead for the 2010 campaign, but he has also refused to rest on his laurels in any way.
“Last season was unbelievable,” said Thole. “It was obviously a dream come true, especially at the end when I got the opportunity to be called up in September. That was just the beginning though. I want to keep working on being more consistent defensively and get myself ready to play when I am needed.”
“I don’t want to have a question mark after my name when it comes to the catching department,” he added. “Getting to know the pitching staff last year has helped so much this year. As a catcher, the better that you know the pitching staff, the easier it gets to work with them. That was the nice part about last year. Even though it was only for a month, it helped me get to know the guys that much quicker.”
“I just want to keep getting better, one day at a time,” explained Thole. “I want to be ready so that if that call ever comes again, I can make the most of it. I just want to do anything I can to help these guys win. It feels great to be here and to know that the organization thinks highly of me, but I still have a lot of work ahead of me. I have to keep looking forward and stay focused. Any time you start looking back and thinking that you are ahead of the game, that’s when it comes up and gets you. I know that I have a lot to learn and a lot to do and I just want to stay on track and keep improving.”

No comments:

Post a Comment